Chicken wings can be a glorious thing when they're fresh, hot and coated with great sauce (or great spice like this recipe I want to try when I work up the nerve). But I've eaten a lot of mediocre wings with a flabby texture that only serve to remind me how unhealthy they are and maybe not worth the calories. So I've taken to trimming the excess skin off the little appendages before I cook them. I learned this trick from my dad who goes at his wings* like a surgeon with a straight edge razor and makes them almost heart-healthy. I'm less rigorous and just look for any little flaps that aren't firmly adhered to the meat. I think it's worth the effort.
This version is spicy and garlicky with that addictive Sriracha flavor. I made two pounds and probably should have doubled it for my family of four. A hit with everyone, these are quick to make because there's no need to marinate. You can make the sauce while the wings bake and bring them together in the last 10 minutes.
* I just realized this makes it sound like my dad's a bird. He's not.
Sticky Sriracha Wings
Makes enough for 4 appetizer portions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 level tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic (4-5 medium cloves)
1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1/4 cup Sriracha
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon mirin or rice wine
1 tablespoon chopped scallions and sesame seeds
2. Trim wings of excess fat using a sharp knife. Place into a bowl and toss with salt and pepper.
3. Put wings on a sheet pan in a single layer and bake 45 minutes until brown and crisp.
4. Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan and add ginger and garlic. Saute until fragrant then add all other sauce ingredients except scallions and sesame seeds. Bring to a medium boil then cook until reduced and thickened (3-5 minutes). You'll end up with about 2/3 cup. Keep warm.
5. Toss hot wings with 3/4 of sauce then return to oven for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven, place wings into a bowl and toss with remaining sauce. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.