So happy to be at the cabin in khaki cutoffs and old button-down shirts, playing gin rummy with my kids, cruising the lake in the pontoon, listening to classic rock on the PowerLoon (local radio station with a loon call as a station identifier - we know how to get funky here in MN) and eating heartily - lots of grilled meats, vegetables I've hauled in from the Mpls Farmer's Market (not much coming yet from northern MN gardens) and desserts that, if they don't come from the pie lady in town, don't require the oven.
Fruit crisps are my favorite dessert and this is the first time I've tried one on the grill. Easy and fast. Cooks very quickly in a cast-iron skillet with a crunchy top and gooey caramelized fruit around the edges. The topping includes unsweetened coconut flakes and sliced almonds. They get really toasty and are so great in this. Perfect summer dessert.
Grilled Strawberry Blueberry Coconut Crisp
Serves 3-4 (modest servings)
2 cups fresh berries (strawberries and blueberries)
1 tablespoon sugar*
1/4 cup oatmeal (not quick cooking)
1/4 cup sliced almonds (untoasted)
1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup AP flour
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
Pinch kosher salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1. Preheat grill to medium-high
2. Trim and quarter strawberries and put in 6" cast-iron skillet along with blueberries. Sprinkle with sugar if using.
3. Mix all dry topping ingredients together then add butter and work in with fingertips until incorporated and pea-sized.
4. Spoon topping over fruit pressing down lightly to fit (the berries shrink during cooking and you want lots of crunchy crust). You may have a little left over.
5. Place on grill rack and put cover down. Check after 10 minutes. Fruit should be bubbly and crust browned - anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on your grill. Be careful removing - handle will be scorching hot.
6. Let rest for at least 15 minutes then serve with vanilla ice cream, plain greek yogurt, whipped cream or straight up.
* Add depending on how sweet your berries are and how tart you like your crisp.