Healthier (?) Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup oatmeal (not quick cooking)
1 cup chocolate chips (dark, semi sweet and butterscotch or any combination you like)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer until combined. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until blended.
3. Sift in dry ingredients and mix with mixer until blended (will be thick).
4. Stir in oatmeal, nuts and chocolate chips. Dough will be stiff.
5. Scoop up golf ball size spoonfuls of dough and put on ungreased sheet pans. Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks — they'll set up as they cool.
* melt a stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter over medium heat and bubble until browned with dark bits on the bottom. Transfer to heat-proof container and chill until solid.
** I keep a stash of super ripe bananas in the freezer. Defrosted, they look disgusting but are perfect for baking.